Wine (initially an acronym for “Wine Is Not an Emulator”) is a compatibility layer able to operating Home windows functions on a number of POSIX-compliant working techniques. Reminiscent of Linux, Mac OS X and BSD OS. As a substitute of simulating inside Home windows logic like a digital machine or emulator, Wine interprets Home windows API calls into POSIX calls on-the-fly. It eliminates the efficiency and reminiscence penalties of different strategies. Additionally it lets you cleanly combine Home windows functions into your desktop.
Wine will at all times be free software program. Roughly half of supply code is written by volunteers, with the remaining effort sponsored by industrial pursuits, particularly CodeWeavers, which sells a supported model of Wine.
This program doesn’t require Microsoft Home windows. As it’s a fully free different implementation of the Home windows API consisting of 100% non-Microsoft code, nevertheless Wine can optionally use native Home windows DLLs if they’re obtainable.
Home windows applications operating in Wine act as native applications would, operating with out the efficiency or reminiscence utilization penalties of an emulator, with an identical feel and appear to different functions in your desktop.
Wine started in 1993 beneath the preliminary coordination of Bob Amstadt as a method to assist operating Home windows three.1 applications on Linux. Very early on, management over Wine’s improvement handed to Alexandre Julliard, who has managed the challenge ever since.
- It’s Open Supply Software program, due to this fact you’ll be able to lengthen it to fit your wants or have one among many corporations do it for you.
- It may also be used to make current Home windows functions obtainable on the Net by utilizing VNC and its Java/HTML5 consumer.
- Makes it potential to benefit from all of the Unix sturdy factors (stability, flexibility, distant administration) whereas nonetheless utilizing the Home windows functions you rely upon.
- Unix has at all times made it potential to write down highly effective scripts. Wine makes it potential to name Home windows functions from scripts. That may additionally leverage the Unix surroundings to its full extent.
- Makes it potential to entry Home windows functions remotely. Even when they’re just a few thousand miles away.
- Makes it economical to make use of skinny shoppers. Merely set up this app on a Linux server, and voila, you’ll be able to entry these Home windows functions from any X terminal.
Adjustments in model 1.8.5:
- Numerous bug fixes.
Adjustments in model 1.9.24:
- Assist for unordered entry views in Direct3D.
- Many fixes within the regression exams.
- Some extra enhancements in HID assist.
- Numerous bug fixes.
Homepage – http://www.winehq.org
Size: 22.5 MB